The layout of the Brightspace page is very important for blended learning. It is the most important source of information for students. Students see each other and the teacher a lot less, so that ambiguities are resolved less quickly. See an example of a Brightspace page based on the 12 building blocks of effective online education and the Community of Inquiry framework. See also a concrete step-by-step plan for designing blended education.
Below are a number of educational activities that lend themselves well to online education.
- Coaching or consultations for small groups or 1-on-1. For this you use MS Teams or Virtual Classroom in Brightspace.
- Webinars for knowledge transfer and instructions for a complex assignment. A large number of students can participate in a webinar and the cameras and microphones of students are not included. By working with multiple (guest) speakers and a moderator for the chat, it is varied and interactive because questions from students can be dealt with. (more info)
- Activate inside information. Before new material is offered, it is important to activate students’ prior knowledge. Students learn from each other and are motivated for the lesson, self-study or webinar that follows. Click here for options for an online variant.
- Virtual Classroom with activating assignments. Click here for options for an online variant.
- With short videos of up to 6 minutes, students can prepare for an (online) lesson independently of time and place and serve as supporting learning material for difficult teaching material.
- Online material from the publisher. In addition to complete methods, there is also a lot of additional material that is developed by publishers. On their websites you will find all information about available methods and innovative learning materials. Think of Noordhoff, Pearson etc.
- Formative evaluation through digital quizzes, self-testing, peer feedback. Formative evaluation (assessment for learning) is an important part of education based on blended learning. To this end, it is regularly determined how students develop. Based on the findings, the teacher determines how the learning process can best take shape. (more info)
- Knowledge tests are converted to an alternative digital form. The aim is to integrally test knowledge as far as possible. (more info)